Sunday, February 9, 2014

Have a LOVEly day!

This happened more than a decade ago. Time and again, I have wondered about this, something that was said just as a joke. It was indeed a joke, and all we girlfriends watching that movie had a good laugh. The joke however came from a friend when there was a very emotional confession from the leading lady of a movie to her father. The actress said, "Dad we just talked, and never realized when I fell in love". Some of my friends, I am sure nodded for her. The pathetically non romantic like me frowned, and one blurted, "Really? was it a disease that you never realized how you caught it?" We all giggled. It seemed right for the more practical ones, and a relief for the others as we had one friend's mom watching with us too.

Its 2014 and I still wonder if that is true! Does anyone ever realize the moment which makes you fall in love. Which gets me to another, question - Why is it always 'fall'ing in love? Why not anything else in love? Rise in love? Jump in love? Well, I guess I will keep it for another time.

Now that valentine's day is defined in a more global way "a day for the exchange of tokens of affection", I somehow feel qualified to write on this day. To be more specific, my 4 year old's class is celebrating valentine's day by exchanging cards with classmates. And when I went to pick some cards for his friends, I noticed that there is one for everyone possible, or so I thought - mom, dad, teacher,grandparents, siblings and not to forget dogs, cats, fishes and parrots. What do I say? Love is everywhere! Love is everywhere in the stores. There is love in the card section, book section, apparel section, chocolates, cookies, makeup, bakery, flowers, fruits...really everywhere! There is no way I am going to forget valentine's day in this day and age. If the display in stores are not enough, I know there will be enough people posting on their FB walls. And ofcourse twitter, instagram and other stuff that the new age kids have got me into creating a login, but rarely check; or should I say I dont know how to effectively use them! But then again, that can be for another post about me growing old!

So going back to 'fall'ing in love, I dont think I have 'the' moment for anyone I love dearly. But for each and everyone, I have enough moments that justify my love. As I cherish every moment I spend with them, be it my husband, my parents, my kid, my sister, cousins, friends, and while I am at it, the internet, the facebook, my laptop, and a hundred other new age gadgets/inventions that make my life easier and more enjoyable. I love you all, and will love you forever. The old me always said, "Do you really need a day for this?" But now, the wiser me says - "Well, if its a way to bring one extra smile on anyone's face, its totally worth it."


Dont say - 'Love doesnt need a day thats not fair'
this is just a reminder of what we share
Its a celebration of us being 'we'
Let it be a day to set any bitterness free
I love you, and you better know it well
I rarely do this, but today may be I should tell.... 

I  LOVE YOU :-)

Btw, can you guess the movie I am talking about in the first paragraph? It was one of the totally romantic hindi movies starring both the shehenshah and baadshah of bollywood!

I was curious what my son thought about all this. So I asked

Me: What is valentine's day?
Sacheth : getting lots of cards with hearts. Can I cut them and stick them to doors?
Me: No, you should give them to your friends
Sacheth : NO! I HATE VALENTINE'S DAY!

Enjoy maadi!

With lots of love,                                                                                                         
 Ritha Hegde

8 comments:

chandini said...

I LOVE YOU two(Rithe and Sachet)...:D Sachet has been growing up like Calvin...:D...Love him more, muaha ha...I don't remem watching Mohabattein with you, so I am not counting me in that girlfriend list you are talking about, though at first read I thought the one blurted out was our own dear SM...:)....Lovely write up as usual....Keep going dear...:)

Unknown said...

Thank you Ch :) Yes you are right, it wasnt with you guys. Though as you said, Sm would have definitely said it! This was when I was in college.

A' nil said...

Cheers on these words.....

My feeling goes on my FB update for you and all! :-)

Subramanya Bhat said...

Hi Ritha

Nice post..

The movie name is- MOHABBATEIN..?
Correct me if I'm wrong.

Unknown said...

Yes it is indeed Mohabbatein :)

A Sunny Yellow Window said...

Rithe, long time! And I am surprised at the V-day celebrations in your four-year old's class, cmon 4 years and they are forced to celebrate Vday. Schools these days, phew :) This whole thing is for retailers' benefit.

Unknown said...

Yes Ambike, totally made for and by retailers I would say!

prajna said...

haha :)reetakka last cons=versation with Mr.Shetu is superrrrb :)