Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Stories of Vanished Mobiles

"My cellphone is ringing, no one is picking it!"
"Now it says switched off!"
"Oh, out of coverage area! So soon they took off the sim from my cel already!!!"
These were the words my teammate uttered in breaks of 2 mins each, in the morning when she stepped in the cubicle.
Ya, she forgot her cel in the bus....someone saw it, flicked it and threw off the sim.....
This incident just prompted me to think back on different stories I have heard on mobiles vanishing.... Just trying to put it down...
Nothing great...but ya, most of them real stories as far as I remember.....may be I would have added a little masala wherever I forgot the link....

Let me start with my own story :
My first mobile..... I lost it in a overcrowded bus. I dint drop it anywhere, but someone very cleanly picked it from my carry bag.....Just my vallet and mobile were gone and nothing else touched. Dont ask me what else worth was there! Went to the police station to complain....with 100% guarantee that I wont get it back ( confidence aah?). Ya I will have to make sure my number is not misused na..... Ok I went to the police and he made me write the complaint the way he wanted saying I dropped it somewhere and all that. And then his lecture started.... "You know you IT people only have spoiled the public here.....you use major gadgets and tempt people to steal it." ( I swear his mobile on his table was atleast double the price of my mobile) . I was very upset with my mobile and a tear just dropped when he started blaming me. I guess he was not expecting that, he changed the course of his lecture.... "You know what madam..... you should help us catch the criminals. Next time you are in the bus, keep your carry bag open and act as though you are careless....but you be observing. When someone comes to pick it, you catch them red handed" (Hmm what an idea sirjee! Anyone wants to give a try?)

Story of Smith :
She had gone for some trekking. She left the mobile somewhere there only. She came and realised that it had vanished.... She and some of the friends tried to contact her number. It rang for sometime and later on we got "Its switched off" message. Then after 2 days we got a call from her mobile from an elderly gentleman (voice sounded elderly) saying he got the mobile in such and such a place. Its battery had died down, so he charged it and contacted us. He took her address and couriered the cel.... See miracles happen!

Story of Manoj :
Manoj sir was woken up from sleep at home when his roommate started shouting "Mobile Mobile". With the sleepy eyes he spotted that the mobile he kept on this table was gone....The window fluttering open said the story. Next day as usual police complaint and all happened. He reached home the next day and saw his sim kept neatly at his door. Very thoughtful thief.... What a message he gave us - If something is not useful to you, give it to the person who will make proper use of it! Jai ho.....

So what's your story? Do let me know in the comments section...

8 comments:

Who Am I? said...

Lucky me :). Never lost my cell till now. Touch wood.

But yes, once i had dropped my cell in the Bangalore Central carry bag and gave the bag for billing. After 20 mins, i realized that my cell is missing. Ran back to the counter like P T Usha, and poor girl at the counter, searched all the bags lying down and i got my cell back. :)

EveryLetterCounts said...

sorry i dont have a story to tell you but was bemused by your stories. even more interesting was the way in which they have been narrated.
at the end i was expecting some hints /tips to avoid anyone else having to go through such stories. maybe you can blog about them later. well to start with there is one in the comment below - next time you forget your cell don't ring it and let everyone around know that there is an unattended mobile lying there, instead run like P T Usha or should i say archana since she ran like P T Usha and P T Usha is so old now. :)

Nishant said...

My story - While playing Table Tennis in the office, I placed the cell phone on one of the dining tables nearby, afraid that my cell phone might drop down from my pocket during the game. After the a couple of games, resumed with the usual official work; after few minutes, went back to the table - no cell phone!!. Called the cell phone number once, the phone rung, but was cut. The response to the next call was as I predicted : out of reach. This happened during the office hours - in spite of the cameras, the culprit was never caught. An office boy was grilled; the indignant fellow quit after a few days.

Subramanya Bhat said...

I lost my mobile the most common way every body would loose it...yep in a overcrowded bus..Had a very simple and basic model of Nokia..yep its 3315..was returning from my friend's home in Vivek Nagar..boarded a crowded and notorious 201 route bus ignoring my friend's advice to take the next bus..Well what happened next every body might know with what this article is all about..Yep by the time I reached my destination my mobile is all but vanished..But being the AMP (wht's it ..i think u all know!!) I'm at times..I came to know of it only when I reached my room..Rushed outside and tried to call from a PCO..and got the same message " THE NUMBER YOU ARE TRYING TO REACH IS SWITCHED OFF"..Well there end's my association with my first cellphone..

Raghu said...

"Every Dog Has a Day"...........
After reading the stories (So well narated- Truly Inspired )I would like to share my part of cake.
I was in a bus that was jam packed, not even have space to breath. Wz standing near door to get down in few stops, Suddely i felt some one's had is in my pocket n tryin to get somethin (Thnax 2 my 6th Sense), As soon as i tried to catch the person he got down n fleed from the spot. Luckily i dint miss my mobile.

A' nil said...

Seems, my comment vanished from here, and we are talking about mobilephones? Eh! Who lifted the comment from here?

Triguna said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Triguna said...

Oh sad story / funny story. Looks like that guy was lucky with the SIM. Girl was lucky with the phone. but you are not at all lucky with anything. Crap these policemen. I had a bad experience with police too when I lost my gas cylinder cap. I went to gave complaint just to get the police copy to get a new cap for my cylinder. (It is the cap which we use to connect to the gas stove).

Ok. Here is my story:
I went to the police station for the first time in my life. I had seen police station only in movies and never wanted to go there because of bad opinion about. But had to go to get my new cap. So went there with little nervousness. But was confident about my loss. I went and asked them for giving complaint. Starting from the constable, head constable and all asking me to sit and wait for something as if I am the big bakra for them that day. Then one police head constable came and sat beside me and started asking me what happened. I told my story. Then he told you write a complaint today and go. And he was telling you wont get the receipt as you cannot loose gas cap and all. How can you loose gas cap and all he was asking? Oh man. I lost it and if I know how I lost why I come to you? hmmmm.. then he was telling me to write a letter. Then I wrote what actually happened. Saying. I lost in the room where I stayed and I dont know who picked it up. Then he said he will only write properly as my kannada is not that good. As if my kannada is very bad he was telling. Then I looked at him once and anyway kaaryawaasi kathe kaalu so went with his words and told ok. He started writing that I lost it while shifting home and all he wrote. Then the real story begins. He told me to go and get the sign and seal from Sub Inspector who was sitting inside. I said ok and went inside. And it was mind blowing. He was sleeping. grr grr... And I called him once, twice and thrice, he was in his own dreams. Why he will listen to a stupid guy. Then I told the guy who wrote letter that he is sleeping. He was casual and told we will wait for him to wake up. Oh man no value for my time. Then some other sub inspector came from somewhere as rescue for me and he was like don. He came and sat in the maharaaja chair and showing his attitude. Oh yenappa yenu samachaara. Then that head constable came and gave letter. but SI whoo hoon... he is busy... very busy doing something. Showing attitude.. then HC (Head Constable) told me to go there and speak. Then I went there. he was hoon yenu. Then I told I need your sign. Then he told no no it cannot be given Also if I sign you wont get receipt. Then he was telling we will do the things and FIR we need to put and all it is a big headace for us and all he was talking. then he told neevu yeno kodtheera antha naavu reciept kodtheevi (we will give you recipt only because you give something to me). Oh man.. ok I will give one splash give me the receipt. hmmm.. Then I understood his intensions and what else to do I gave some 50 rs. And I got my receipt. Still story not over. Then when I came outside the HC was standing and smiling. I told him thanks. Then he was looking up and down and asking me money. not directly but. Then I was saying I dont have nothing I have and all then he asked how much SI got. I told 50/- then one more HC came then this guy told that guy the story and then that other guy told me to go. Then I thought thank god my other 50/- saved... hmmm...

This all happened in the time of 4:30 to 5:30 and I was rushing to take sign and seal that day only to corporation circle Utility building where Indian Oil and Gas employees are working. Office closes at 6:00 there but it was open (luckily) and I got sign and signature some how. And came back. I took half day leave for this big drama and left office from Whitefield to Mathikere where I was staying and went to Yeshwantpur Police Station Bangalore.

hmmmmm...

Triguna M S